View Full Version : FF VII crashes at first battle
January 8th, 2003, 00:51
For some reason, PCSX 1.4 can't get so far as to the swirl of Cloud's first battle in FF VII. It freezes and crashes, sometimes forcing me to shut down. I've never seen anyone ask for help for this game on PCSX before. Odd.
My graphics config:
Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.68
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce4 MX 420/PCI/SSE2
- 800x600 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [16 Bit]
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: off
- Palettized tex windows: on
- Garbage collection: on
- VRam size: 64 MBytes
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 1
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: on
- Scanlines: off
- Line mode: off
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: on
- Screen smoothing: off
- Screen cushion: off
- Game fixes: on 
January 8th, 2003, 01:02
u could try making a ISO and mount it w/ daemon tools
January 8th, 2003, 01:30
No, I think the dump quality is fine, as is the Mooby CDR plugin. I get the same behavior whether I play the ISO or the CD, anyway. Maybe the CD is too scratchy. However, I tested it in ePSXe and it works.
I fixed the swirlies. So now, Cloud meets his opponents, and I get a nice swirly, and the game _starts_ to draw the background scene and battle menus for a microsecond, and just freezes. Hmph.
January 8th, 2003, 08:14
Can someone send me a PCSX Save State from the second disk of FF7?
January 8th, 2003, 08:38
Urgh! Chrono Cross battles and FF VIII battles are crashing it, too. What the heck is going on?
January 8th, 2003, 11:42
if a game doesn't work for me i either try another emu (like epsxe) or i simply set the settings of the plugin to "fast" and if it works with the default "fast" settings then i switch some stuff to better gfx or stuff like that until it freezes again and then i know where the problem comes from... and if that doesn't work either i simply insert the disc into my psx ;)
January 8th, 2003, 12:22
He won't use ePSXe cause he's trying to be a good guy. :D
January 8th, 2003, 13:01
Yeah yeah .... whatever.
The reason this is so frustrating is that, from a troubleshooting point of view, PCSX seems to be crashing for NO REASON.
1. It's not that the ISO dump was bad, since the ISO and the CD behave is the same exact way.
2. It's not that the CD is scratched, since the CD works fine with other emulators; and non-scratched CD's (of OTHER Squaresoft games) behave the same way. Battles crash in FF8 and Chrono Cross.
3. It has nothing to do with the graphics plugins, since every setting from the worst to the best produces the same effect.
4. It isn't PCSX _itself_ because, so far as I know, nobody else using that emulator has complained about Squaresoft RPG battles always crashing. In fact, I'm the only person on the World Wide Web that seems to have this problem. What could possibly be more screwed up than that? Is there a CPU option I need to check or uncheck? Hmph.
4. Could it be my computer? That seems way out there in terms of possibilities, but wouldn't it be interesting if Scandisk fixed whatever was going on?
Help us Linuzapps, you're our only hope!
January 15th, 2003, 02:44
Will, I have the same problem!! but Just when using VGS.. using ePSXe solve the problem, I didn't try PCSX, its not Reliable..
November 29th, 2004, 04:25
what version windows?
November 29th, 2004, 17:04
This thread is almost two years old!! oO Please, do not revive old threads. I don't think the original poster has the problem anymore. Check the rules and try to behave acordingly.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.