View Full Version : My Idea for the Re-Birth of NGemu.com (Bobbi - can you voice an opinion?)
June 11th, 2002, 17:28
1) The site should be shut down for a period of 1 - 2 months (that is the Forum side of things not the main news page), and only a select group of people allowed into the site, lets say 20-30 people (who Bobbi and only Bobbi selects), Bobbi could then clean the site up, removing the spam section, banning lamers and deleting non active members, and enforcing new rules and regulations, which the 20-30 people could then test by acting as spammers (so that Bobbi could test how to deal with them etc), mods, general posters etc, these 'Beta-testers' would test the site for problems, and work closely with Bobbi comming up with new ideas, and testing them, once the site has been re-organised and tested it could then be re-openned to allow new members etc etc, thus acting as a breath of fresh air and a CPR job at the same time.
2) SPAM section has to go, and in replacement of SPAM/ Off-Topic, a single no post increasing area called 'Open Discussion' which allows you to talk about useful, and NON pointless materials that don't fit into the emulation areas.
3) A Community area should be started for well liked, approved members to talk in about private subjects or to put it simply, talk like the good old days of, 'lonely night' etc, and only those who are allowed in, are chosen by Bobbi, or anouther admin, and after a certain number of posts (eg 700) you will get recommended for that area, due to the fact that if you have that many posts you can't of caused trouble.
4) Bobbi I think you must clamp down on lamers/spammers/and pointless crap, with short sharp banning.
5) Rather than closing a bad thread, I think it must be deleted.
6) If someone asks questions that have already been answered before, and do so regually, they should be banned.
7) Culling must take place, though lots of members looks good, and is goo,d I think anyone that had not posted anything in the past 3 months need deleting, and all lamers, known, and active must be banned and all their posts deleted.
These are just some basic ideas, but I believe it would help and would be a good start.
PS: I am gonna stick around, I have faith that this board will eventually lose a large majority of its lamers.
June 11th, 2002, 17:57
Well, there are some members that have memberships simply for the ad-free experience. How do you tell the difference between them and people who just never visit the site anymore? Last login???
June 11th, 2002, 18:00
Based on when they last posted, perhaps based on if they havn't posted in the last 3 months, then they should be banned. (do you have any ideas for this?)
June 11th, 2002, 19:13
You're having some problems with lamers? just notice the nicknames to any admin, that i guess they should talk to the related, and you're quit of streesed when talking to the related topics (the one with DELETE the thread or BAN ppl that asked the same question) that's incoerence with the users the closement of thread is just enough and ban ppl that asked again, that's not very polite, i think the admins advice them about the replicent question, that's correct instead of just get and BAN someone
June 11th, 2002, 19:17
I don't understand: why ban/delete people who haven't posted for awhile? They aren't currently causing any trouble. If they're just a back-up account for some spammer to get into, then as soon as they start causing trouble they can be gotten rid of. More harm would come from deleting the inactives I think. Also having a 'Good-ol' days' section for select members is ... well, it is elitest. That would create more dissention I believe. After all this is supposed to be a 'community' isn't it? Though I really hate and despise family metaphors in general. After all, the vast majority of you I wouldn't want to be related to. I also don't see much of a point to shutting down the site. Culling can happen without that. New rules and regulations might as well be tested on everyone. Specific ideas on these new rules and regulations would probably be helpful. Ignorance is not bliss in this case either. Repeat offenders seem to me to get off way too easily, a cruel and heartless mod would probably be helpful. Ours are currently too nice tee hee! Also a FAQ forum could be helpful, where the more commonly asked questions are collected. Oh well, I hope this place cleans up but I'm not holding much in the way of hope. I'm a pessimist anyhow, remember?
June 11th, 2002, 19:42
Um.. bad idea. Why shut down a shole site because of a few bad apples. The forums may never come back. Just ignore people who bother you. Some people need some thicker skin...
June 11th, 2002, 19:59
There are alot of lamer lately *sigh* tho we don't need to delete accounts unless they have not logged on in 4 months.
June 11th, 2002, 19:59
Well here's my bit (not official though).
1) Don't know about that. Bobbi's way too busy with ngemu2 at the mom. Besides it wouldn't need to be shut down to make racical changes.
2) I agree with you 100%. I actually suggested this a while back, at the same time as making OT not count toward postcounts. IMHO having a forum dedicated to spam is just an invitation for ppl to abuse the board, and it causes a cancer to spread thoughout.
3) This idea was suggested also around the time the ratings were introducted. I quite like it and it wouldn't take too long to setup.
4) There are 2 specific members who I have given my final warning to. Believe me if they cross the line with even 1 more post they are history.
5) I don't agree to that. By closing a thread and giving a reason it acts as an example to new members. ATM we can hide threads that are completely inappropriate.
6) Disagree completely. The whole point of this forum is to help and be helped. I know it can be annoying to see some of the same questions repeatedly but I do not feel that those who are genuinely needing help should be punished, no matter how obvious a question appears to the seasoned emu master.
7) AFAIK there already is a system in place which deletes 0 post accounts 30 day after their use. IMHO Banning suffices.
June 11th, 2002, 20:19
i agree with all the points Betamax posted but on number 3, i completly agree with gerbilcannon.
Also having a 'Good-ol' days' section for select members is ... well, it is elitest. That would create more dissention I believe. After all this is supposed to be a 'community' isn't it?
for me, it's like "you are just a newbie, you aren't allowed in here" if that ever happens.
first and foremost, we are here to help in the emulation scene. all other reasons follow.
it is what makes me stay here as i want to help newbies in their emulation questions.
although, i can get very annoyed at times. :p
June 11th, 2002, 20:25
Oh I agree we are here to help, and I enjoy helping, but my ideas I feel would help, afterall the ePSXe forum etc would still be there to help.......
June 11th, 2002, 20:29
>3) A Community area should be started for well liked, approved members to talk in about private subjects or to put it simply, talk like the good old days of, 'lonely night' etc, and only those who are allowed in, are chosen by Bobbi, or anouther admin, and after a certain number of posts (eg 700) you will get recommended for that area, due to the fact that if you have that many posts you can't of caused trouble.
I like this if I was included :eek:
June 11th, 2002, 20:53
sowwy, but I took 700 as a number from a high hat, it would be up to Bobbi I guess.... but I think even if you are a nice guy that below 300 is still to low, as some $%$% might slip through, but, as I said up to bobbi
June 11th, 2002, 21:02
and i did say if your chosen by bobbi, or by anouther mod
June 11th, 2002, 21:07
Originally posted by gerbilcannon
.......Also a FAQ forum could be helpful, where the more commonly asked questions are collected.....(Extract)
As mentionned by someone before, I like the Idea of a FAQ forum, but why would someone read the FAQ forum, if they can't read the readme files or use the search facility, also it would have to be a collection of questions, where you could not post, or it would fill up with shyte............its a good idea, that would sadly fall on death ears, or is that blind people, I dunno....
June 11th, 2002, 21:08
Yeah I think 400 or 500 would do it :p I could get there in no time (without spamming). I am sure some mod or admin would choose me tho:rolleyes:
June 11th, 2002, 21:24
we can but wonder I guess, I would hope that people wanted a high post count from not spamming, but rather from being useful.
June 11th, 2002, 21:29
That mostly what I try to do :innocent:
June 11th, 2002, 22:35
Yeah.... i hope these boards will be cleansed somehow....... i'll always be around though, whether you like it or not ;)
June 11th, 2002, 22:38
I don;t like the idea of an elete forum. Then all the good people hang out there and the newbies dont get to interact with the people you would want them to.
June 11th, 2002, 22:41
the newbies would interact in the open disscussion area, and in the info in the main forums, and its not elite, its a good way of establishing community, with people that are the community, as you post, and gain respect for doing good stuff, your more likey to be considered a part of that community, and it will allow you to grow into that comminity....
June 12th, 2002, 01:34
It's strange that out of all these people:
Emuforums.com Super Moderators
....only Beta seems to be doing the dirty job of keeping order recently. Two have given up and moved (temporarily) to a better place. Some simply disappeared in thin air. I understand that we all (okay, some of us :p) have real lives and better things to do too, so they can't just sit around waiting for something to happen.
What I'm trying to say is that there should be mods who would be willing to do the dirty work too, even if the only "powers" they get are moderating the off-topic part of the boards, and be a regular member everywhere else.
June 12th, 2002, 02:44
hmm not a bad idea, though I think Bobbi is up 2 something there, but we will have to wait on the 'offical' word!
Personally Shiori I think you would be a good bet for that kind of role, heck even I would volunteer for something, but its just waiting for Bobbi now, and I think we will all know soon enough :D
June 12th, 2002, 03:08
Actually Keith just made me an "off-topic mod" just now over at his site. Thanks Keith! :)
But the real problem lies over here at NGEmu at the moment. We need such a designation over here, seeing as this is the most visited (and vunerable) part of the boards, more so than the ePSXe forum.
June 12th, 2002, 03:41
Well Bobbi wants to hire new mods for the board, and wants to close down some forums and try to make the board strictly emulation related. As Shiori already pointed out, Betamax seems to be the only active admin on a regular basis and does a wonderful job. One of the problems I see with the new mods is that is a slim few who I would consider trust worthy such as Shiori and a few others. If they would even want the job is another question. That is a lot of shoes to fill in such a short time. The new goal seems to be to tighten down on the control over the board, establish the new temp ban control, and to close down non emu related forums and topics. Of course nothing is set in stone as of yet but this pretty much somes it up. Maybe it is a step in the right direction, maybe it is not. I do know things will get pretty strict around here, maybe some will enjoy that, maybe some prefere not to have so much control over their head. That will just have to play itself out and see if the latest attempts work or completely fail like the other ideas before it. As I have stated in my post I am no longer going to participate at these forums, and wish all of you the best of luck.
June 12th, 2002, 12:00
Originally posted by Keith
The new goal seems to be to tighten down on the control over the board, establish the new temp ban control, and to close down non emu related forums and topics. Of course nothing is set in stone as of yet but this pretty much somes it up. Maybe it is a step in the right direction, maybe it is not. I do know things will get pretty strict around here, maybe some will enjoy that, maybe some prefere not to have so much control over their head. First off, nothing here is decided yet, it's a way too large topic to do that so quickly - these are all basic ideas which came up, and I'd pretty much like to talk with the affected people first before it gets published anywhere ... but okay, never said that so let's skip this topic.
I think it's finally time to see the future from a more optimistic point of view instead of turning it down all the time ... as I stated in another thread, criticism (sp?) is only good as long as you suggest better alternatives - Dark Watcher and CKEmu did this, among with many others in the various threads currently open regarding this topic.
Last comment: if all things we did in the past would have failed to make this a better place, this forum wouldn't be here any more, or in a completly different form - as someone who was here since the beginning you should know that.
Thanks for all the constructive critics and ideas so far, we're working on making the best out of it - stay tuned for exact details as soon as this weekend.
June 12th, 2002, 12:17
Hey if there is a lack of admins, I'll be happy to volenteer. I'm here all the time anyway!;)
June 12th, 2002, 12:28
Out of the 4 months I've been here, it seems that Bgome, Betamax, Keith, and Shadow Lady are the only ones that are taking out the trash (sorry if I forgot anyone that contributed ;) )
June 12th, 2002, 18:23
Where is Shadow Lady these days anyway?
June 12th, 2002, 18:27
I have seen her about, but she's her less offen than usual, I don't kniw her personally, but I have heard personal things and real life etc, which to be honest u can understand, and Evil Squall has comp problems according to Bobbi, so hence is not around as much, though his news/banning contributions have been great.
June 13th, 2002, 00:45
Since when did banning become a "contribution"? ;) It's always a last resort for people who are too stubborn or simply too stupid to read the rules.
June 13th, 2002, 17:01
on the basis that he has banned a few A-holes............... ;)
June 13th, 2002, 19:27
For an explanation for the fact that many 'mods' aren't active, see http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20590.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.